Friday 1 April 2011

Getting used to life in Malawi

Well, that's the first working week drawing to a close and I'm starting to get my head around how life works and not feel quite so exhausted. Heavy rain this afternoon for about 30 minutes but fortunately back at the ranch by then, so not caught in it! All the overseas consultants and local staff have made me feel very at home, which has helped me settle to a routine reasonably quickly. The office is buzzing as we've been asked to present for a $16k contract next week, really big in terms of what the project does, so that's going to be some pressure to try not to balls up because I've only been with the team a week!

Looking forward to the weekend and some time to myself to get used to the local surroundings a bit more. Have access to the car so intend to have a bit of a drive round to get to know the area better. House comfortable if prone to leaking in the rain. Still we have an indoor swimmimg pool now!

Being well looked after by the house keepers Phillip and Abraham, who cook a good meal each night. Food generally is more westernised than I had imagined, with pizza and chips with everything fairly standard fair. Still I guess it's easier to adapt, although I'd hoped to get a few local recipes to bring home.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are settling in well.don't forget to add some photos - you know me, I like to be nosey!!
    btw Friday is curry night for us - chicken dansak - yummy!!

    Sally x

    ReplyDelete